Impact Alamance: Collaborative Coalition Development, Training and Planning
Active Living By Design is working with project leaders Marcy Green from Impact Alamance and Ann Meletzke from Healthy Alamance to develop and guide the newly formed Alamance Wellness Collaborative. The collaborative focuses on policy, systems, and environmental changes that support active living and healthy food access in Alamance County.
Geographic Area of Focus: Alamance County, NC
Highlights: ALBD is providing technical assistance and training to key stakeholders (staff, board, and coalition members) to increase their understanding of policy, systems, and environmental change strategies that increase children’s access to physical activity and health foods in Alamance County. By the end of the project period, a strategic plan for the coalition will be produced with three to five short- and longer-term priorities for improving the built environment to facilitate physical activity and improved access to healthy foods.
Funding Partner: Impact Alamance
Engagement: February–December 2015
- Monthly meetings with project leadership for purposes of coaching, planning, and project management
- Review of key documents, websites, and reports (including the Community Health Assessment to be released in March 2015) to gain familiarity of issues and opportunities within Alamance County
- Conduct key informant interviews to augment ALBD’s understanding of relevant local issues and to help inform the development of the coalition’s membership, structure, needs, opportunities, and challenges
- Collaborative planning, preparation for, and technical assistance/educational support for monthly community coalition meetings in Alamance County
- Referrals to useful resources to augment local experience and expertise, such as toolkits, fact sheets, and community and case examples
- Consultation in the development of a coalition plan that outlines three to five high-priority areas of focus, including specific strategies and suggested measures for the next two to three years
- Consultation in the development of evaluation measures to help Impact Alamance assess the effectiveness of investments in the built environment