Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation: Healthy Food Systems
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation funded eight grantee partnerships in North Carolina to improve food systems in order to increase access to healthy, local foods in their communities. Resources and support were provided to these partnerships, which focused on rural areas or low-income communities in urban areas of the state.
- Conducted ongoing site visits and needs assessments to ensure the learning network activities meet the needs of the overall grantee portfolio.
- Lead the development and implementation of annual two-day learning network convenings to provide technical assistance in relevant content areas (like communications and sustainability) as well as opportunities for peer-to-peer learning and networking.
- Connecting individual grantee partnerships with experts and resources that are part of ALBD’s broad network (e.g., the American Planning Association and other professional organizations and other communities with demonstrated success in specific food systems strategies).
Funding Partner: Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation
- Grantee learning network design and management
- Convenings and training events
- Tool and resource sharing
- Field building with local, state, and national partners
“Active Living by Design led the technical assistance on our Fit Together grant program and is now leading our learning network of food systems grantees. Their knowledge, professionalism and expertise are unparalleled.”
Kathy Higgins, President
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation